Volume 6, Number 1

January - March 2011

Text Box: Environment & We 
An International Journal of Science & Technology
 ISSN: 0975-7112 (Print) 				ISSN: 0975-7120 (Online)
Text Box: Pattern of Fodder Utilization in Relation to Sustainability under Indigenous Agroforestry Systems, North-Western Himalaya, India

Yashwant S. Rawat* and Subhash C.R. Vishvakarma
G.B. Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development, Kosi-Katarmal, Almora 263 643 Uttarakhand, India
*Email: yas_rawat@yahoo.com
Tel.: +91-05962-241041; Fax: 91-05962-241150

Abstract

Livestock is considered one of the integral part of livelihood, which rely mostly on fodder extracted from forests, grasslands, agriculture and agroforestry. The diversity, distribution, production and utilization pattern of the fodder species is important for prioritization of fodder species along an altitudinal gradient, and conservation and management practices. Indigenous agroforestry systems in the region play an important role in sustaining the goods and services of ever-growing needs of the farmers. Nearly 89.44% of fodder was meeting out from internal sources (agroforestry, kitchen garden, cultivated grassland, horticulture, grass from forest and forest trees) remaining 10.56% was procured from external sources (purchased grass, feed and oil). Over all, per household per year 4.15 tonne of fodder was needed excluding amount of fodder through open grazing. In general, maximum species were lopped annually, except Olea ferruginea, Quercus floribunda, Q. leucotrichophora and Salix fragilis, which were lopped in an interval of three years. The present study reveals the status of fodder and its sustainability under different agroforestry systems.

Keywords: Diversity; Agroforestry; Fodder; Utilization; Conservation and management; Cold desert; North-Western Himalaya

Environ. We Int. J. Sci. Tech. 6 (2011) 1-13                       Full Paper